Blackfriars Out of School Hours Care
Our Out of School Hours Care (OSHC) provides a safe and healthy environment for children within our school and local community.
We are convenient and cost effective to support families outside of school hours and during school holidays.
We acknowledge diversity of culture, individuals, identity and families. Therefore, it is important that we maintain standards in line with the National Quality Framework for School Aged Care. Our planning and programming is developed in consultation with the children and is centred on the importance of play and experiences that develop life skills for all. We promote a nurturing environment where children are happy and secure through the development of positive relationships between OSHC Staff, children and their families.
Access for children to the OSHC Service is non-discriminatory. Individuals are treated with respect regardless of their gender, race, religion, age, impairment or disability, medical condition, marital status, pregnancy, sexuality, political conviction, family responsibility or family status.
We ensure our service is safe, stimulating and caring for the children that we attend by providing:
- Appropriate supervision and duty of care for all children
- Relaxing and comfortable surroundings
- A range of challenging, rewarding, relaxing and alternative activities for the children.
We encourage communication and social interaction with peers, staff and families by:
- Promoting group activities while recognizing individual needs of the children in our care
- Encouraging responsible behaviour of all children
- Encouraging children to listen and respect the opinions and feelings of others (their peers, the staff and families that use the service)
- Encouraging children to respect the values and cultural differences of others.
We ensure our service is affordable, accessible and addresses the needs of all families in the community by:
- Encouraging all parents/guardians who utilize the service to participate or volunteer in the service
- Respecting all families’ rights to have
- Input in the decision making of the service
- Endeavouring to make responsible decisions about income, expenditure and quality practices
- Being accountable and open in all management, financial and administrative matters.
We employ appropriately qualified and skilled staff that demonstrate:
- A caring and supportive manner in their interactions with the children and families
- Their ability to develop exciting and stimulating age appropriate activities
- A professional approach in continually developing their professional skills.
The Blackfriars OSHC facility is located at the heart of our Prospect Road campus inside Frassati Hall, adjacent to the school oval. Families can use the Primary School car park located on Highbury Street.
In addition to Frassati Hall our OSHC service utilises a number of other facilities around Blackfriars including the Primary School Library, playground, front and back ovals, classrooms and school gymnasium.
Our weekly programs are on display in Frassati Hall and we encourage input and suggestions from both families and children.
Children are regularly given opportunities to provide feedback and suggestions on the program. We feel this is an important aspect of planning, as it allows staff to better understand what the children are enjoying when they attend the service.
Children are provided with a healthy snack in After School and Vacation Care.
Children are able to start their homework while they are attending After School Care. This is undertaken under the supervision of our staff.
We welcome parent and carer participation at our OSHC Service. If you would like to volunteer your time and assist staff with excursions, then please discuss this with the OSHC Director.
OSHC Policies are available in the service for viewing. Please speak with the OSHC Director if you would like to read these policies.
- Access to the Out of School Hours Care (OSHC) Service Policy
- Policy on Fees and Financial Management in OSHC
- OSHC Children’s Program Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- OSHC Personal Responsibility Policy
- OSHC Grievance Policy
- OSHC Leadership and Management Policy
- OSHC Management Committee Policy